“I hear the halflings are in town this week,
I hear they have a great story teller with them!”
– A passing commoner.
Halflings travel the countryside in large caravans, rarely staying in one place for more than a month. They are very talkative and friendly with outsiders, often engaging in trade or entertaining the locals. While not hostile to, they do mistrust and are wary of any non-Familja1 outsiders. Rarely do they let anyone into their camps.
The other races do not view the halfings as a threat, and the few that don’t live with the Familja integrate into society very easily. Many view them as mischievous children, as the few that live away from the Familja still keep a bit of their flamboyant ways.
Most of the members of the travelling Familjas are entertainers by trade, but you will find almost every profession represented amongst their ranks. Trade and negotiation is a prized skill amongst the Familja, and there are many a story of a halfling merchant buying a castle for naught a bit of string.
While traveling in their slow deliberate pace, they will often stop to trade with other merchants or other travelers. Many travelers view a chance encounter with one of their caravans as a good sign of an easy road ahead; because amongst the well traveled it is known that when push comes to shove the halflings know how to defend their caravans.
From a young age everyone is taught the basics of how to fight and use their size to their advantage. Even their sport and games are just part of their training, and the masters of their sports are held in high esteem amongst the Familja. So when the caravan finally comes under attack, the attackers often find themselves overwhelmed by the entire Familja.
A Halfling name consists of multiple parts. Familja, Given Name, Family Name, Title is their full name. Their Given Name can be 1-3 names, but is more often just 1. The Family Name is the same as their parent’s family name, much like the last name of humans. Their Title is bestowed upon them by the mother of the Familja, in recognition of their greatest accomplishment or as a recognition of a service they have rendered. When amongst their own Familja they simply use Given Name, Title. When introducing themselves to someone from another Familja they will give their full name, but when introducing themselves to outsiders it is just Familja, Given Name.
Stats and Abilities
- +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength.
- Small: As a Small creature, a halfling gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks. They use smaller weapons than humans use; Additionally their lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Halfling base land speed is 20 feet.
- +2 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, Listen checks.
- +2 to Move Silently, Diplomacy, or Perform. Player choice.
- +1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
- +2 morale bonus on saving throws against fear: This bonus stacks with the halfling’s +1 bonus on saving throws in general.
- +1 racial bonus on attack rolls with thrown weapons and slings.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Halfling. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, and Orc.
- Favored Class: Rogue, Bard.
1 Familja – A halfling that is recognized as belonging to one of the roaming Halfling caravan families.